Friday, August 30, 2013

lolwut?

One of the courses that I am taking is Computer Graphics, avid readers would recognize this from Black Hole post, and so far is kinda interesting but solid work. No one, I should inject no one sane, enjoys Geometry. Despite this, the professor is pretty good. He knows his stuff and is pretty responsive to students in trying to make sure we understand and do well.

I am not sure what nationality he is but a quick google search of his official bio page on gatech servers say he got his undergrad in France which upon thinking seem reasonable. He has a phD, authored 21 patents and over 105 peer-reviewed articles which won him 23 awards. His previous position before coming to Tech was at IBM and has been at Tech for almost 20 years. So he knows his stuff. Clearly.

The reason I say all this is to try to get you, the reader, to imagine my reaction when I receive this mass email from him the other day.

"Argentinian Tango is good for your mind, body, and social life.The classes below are well suited for graphics students, because the instructor, Gabriela, is a great dancer, teaches very clearly, and uses concept sof geometry and dynamics to explain not only what you need to do, but why.
Enjoy"


I only way to sum up my response would have to be "lolwut?". I don't even know where to begin.

  1. A computer science professor encouraging Argentinian Tango classes because it is good for your mind body and social life...?
  2. Teaching dance with sof(I'm assuming soft? Or my geometry that bad) geometer and dynamics...?
  3. The idea of a link between computer graphics and ball room dancing.
Now I don't deny that he's probably correct on every point and I do like him as a professor, this is no way meant to be slander. It was just from completely leftfield and left me chuckling. This people, is a classic find the funny moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment