Wednesday, August 21, 2013

America is a BIG country

So to get the ball rolling a bit with the funnies, I remember my first one from sitting in the airport at LAX waiting for my connection to NYC. I go up to Burger King to get some lunch, not entirely sure of what I felt like and not overly hungry. So I figure a safe bet is just a cheeseburger meal. So I go up to the counter and ask for a large cheeseburger meal deal to which the server just looks at me confused and asks if I just want the burger, "No, in a meal thanks". "Sorry, we don't have a cheeseburger in a meal, only a double cheeseburger". 
CLASSIC AMERICA!
Talk about enforcing the big meal/unhealthy food/*cough*obesity*cough stereotype....


Naturally I took the double cheeseburger, don't judge, 14 hours on a plane....

What's more brilliant is this was reinforced a week later when I was in Washington DC. Walking the streets near my hostel looking for somewhere that's open for dinner (at 7:30?? Who closes for dinner at 7:30? Crazy!) and I find these burger place that apparently has won all sorts of rewards. GQ reckons best burger for $5, combine that with a reasonable hunger by now and you have yourself a sale. On the menu they have burgers and little burgers for about half the price ($7ish vs $4ish). So trying to stick to some semblance of a budget, I ask how little the little burger (perhaps kids size? Is it like quarter pounder vs cheeseburger type thing?). The answer?  Normal burger has two patties, little burger has one!

again, CLASSIC AMERICA!

So I would like to pose this question to America. Since when is it normal for a burger to have two patties? Don't get me wrong, on the very rare occasion, I am prone to order a double with a side order of guilt and shame. But not every single time! I guess this is one of those times where you go "Oh America...silly America"

P.S The place is DC was called Five Guys and that burger was tasty! Plus the chips were like actual potato cut style chips, soooo good! 8/10 would eat again 

No comments:

Post a Comment