Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Random Videos

I have a few videos that I want to share but they're from random different events so I'll just push through and introduce each one.

The first lot is all the way back from the Homecoming concert on Halloween. The student council put on a concert for Homecoming/Halloween and the two people who performed were Dev & Turquoise Jeep. Dev is most famous for singing the vocals on the song "Like a G6" which is probably the only reason people turned up to see her. I thought she put on a decent enough show considering her relatively unknown-ness, she just cycled through a whole heap of poppy electronic songs that can get a crowd excited.


However, I thought the crowd was pretty poor for her (despite the obvious lack of knowledge by the crowd on proper concert etiquette which I blame the 21 age going out limit meaning there were a whole heap of people there that probably haven't gone out before), which latter became apparent because most people turned up to see Turquoise Jeep. The south loves their hip hop and Turquoise Jeep are as about stereotypical as they come. 5 black guys rapping, dancing and doing other hip hop stuff...It made me feel very white...But it was fun because I just started to make fun of it as I do. Though I don't really approve of the "get 5 girls up on stage, put them on chairs and pretty much give them a lap dance" type thing (just because Chris Brown does it, doesn't make it right)



The next video is from a friend of mine's birthday. He favourite DJ group, Krewella, were in town on the night before his birthday so naturally a huge group of us went and saw them. I knew of Krewella but always wrote them off as mainstream. So it was pleasantly surprising when they put on a rocking show. They had excellent support from CandyLand and Seven Lions (I really liked Seven Lions). The show was at the Tabernacle, a 3 story version of the Tivoli pretty much. It's an awesome venue. Here is Krewella playing out their most well known song, Alive.


The next two videos are from a country music concert I went to. A chance to experience some true southern music. The place was called Wild Bills and apparently has the largest dancefloor in America... I actually enjoyed the country music more than I thought I would although don't see me going to Tamworth any time soon. The one quote I remember that one of the artists said was "There are 3 things I expect to see when I walk into Wild Bills on a friday night. 1) Lots of beautiful women, 2) A lot of rednecks and 3) A lot of drunk people". I figure this sums up the southern attitude pretty well. The first video is country cover version of the song Royals by Lorde which is actually not bad.


The second video is from the headline act for the night, Joe Nichols. I actually managed to snag one of his guitar picks that he threw into the crowd but it must have fell out of my pocket so no dice I'm afraid. The funniest thing about the whole night though was after the last act had finished, they started to play like dance music/hip hop music over the sound system and the entire dancefloor just started dancing. It felt weird to see all these rednecks getting into their country music and then swap it up to dance. We ended up staying dancing for another hour probably, the crowd had thinned out substantially by then but we were just being silly and having fun.


The last video I have is from the college basketball game I went to this week. Georgia Tech vs Illinois. Students get in free and if your one of the first set amount of students in, you can sit courtside as well which we did. It was a lot of fun because the courtside seats meant you had to stand the whole time and get into the chants and everything which I loved (although I'm not sure how much the two girls I was with loved having to stand the whole time...). The best part was Tech coming from 12 points down to win it in the last 30 seconds. Made the finish really exciting which was awesome, great atmosphere. Each timeout, the big band would play one of the chants and all the cheer leaders would be out there doing their thing. It felt like something out of Bring It On! Of course they sang the national anthem at the beginning of the game (sorry Mum, I didn't know how to time the words of Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport to the Star Spangled Banner) and they had an odd halftime show of these big dolls coming out and dancing,etc. The video is of the starting 5 for Georgia Tech being announced so you can get a feel of the atmosphere (the crowd filled out as the game went on), see some of the cheerleaders and see how much the players get into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment